Ask About Our Specials and Odor Treatment
Pet Damage Experts in Northern Virginia, Maryland and Washington DC. We are located in Chantilly, Virginia. Hours Mon-Fri 8-5 & Sat 9-4.
Understanding Urine Damage: Pet urine can cause permanent damage to your floors and fabrics. Pet odor can also create an unhealthy indoor environment. When urine is first deposited onto a carpet or fabric, it has a pH of 5 or 6, which is on the acid side of the pH scale.
It is easier to remove at this point, when it is fresh. Once it dries it becomes alkaline, reaching a pH of 10 to 12. At this point it is more difficult to remove. The warm acid state of the urine offers a perfect breeding ground for bacteria, which begin to grow immediately.
1.Stain -In the original acid state, the urine begins to oxidize and react with the carpet to create a color change, also known as urine stain. As time passes, the pet stain will become increasingly more difficult to remove, depending upon the carpet. The dye structure of the carpet may sustain permanent damage. Bear in mind that over-the-counter products (i.e. Resolve, Oxyclean, etc.) may set the stain. We recommend none of these.
2. Odor - The primary source of odor associated with urine comes from bacteria that grow abundantly in dark and warm places with a never ending food source. This bacteria growth and breakdown of the urine creates amino acids. These complex organic compounds will often work deep into the fibers until they actually become part of the fibers. At this point the odors are very difficult to remove. The waste materials and gases from the decomposing urine create an unpleasant odor. When dried urine is remoistened it gives off an ammonia gas which is extremely unpleasant. Urine odor, if it has become dormant, will sometimes "come alive" on days of high humidity. The salts and crystals that are left behind as the urine dries are hydrophilic and draw water to them. Dried urine "comes alive" during humid months because the salts are attracting moisture, and when the moisture evaporates the ammonia gas is released to the air. This is why cleaning existing urine stains may not completely remove any associated odor. In fact, it could increase the odor in the environment temporarily.
Contact Ayoub Carpet Service for professional help with pet damage to the carpet or rugs in your home.
Our Carpet Cleaning Process:
- Inspect Prior to Cleaning
- Provide Price Evaluation
- Move Light Furniture
- Pre-Spot Stains and Spills
- Apply Environmentally Safe Pre-Conditioning Agents to Release Soils
- Groom In Pre-conditioner to Remove Caked-On Soils
- Clean with Truck-Mounted Hot Water Extraction System
- Post-Spot Stubborn Areas for Maximum Stain Removal
- Groom Carpet to Expedite Drying & Enhance Appearance
- Customer Evaluation For Final Approval